August 6, 2015 at 1:05 pm #6380
the OBFS meeting in Gothic, Colorado is upon us soon and I wanted to let you know that we have activated the Carpool/RideShare spreadsheet for 2015:
For more info on travel to Gothic go to: http://www.rmbl.org/conferencesgroups/travel-to-gothic/
Here are details about the meeting: http://www.rmbl.org/conferencesgroups/2015-obfs-meeting/
To avoid some false expectations about the conference, we’ll emphasize a few logistical points.
1. The general expectation is that you will bring a very warm sleeping bag. We don’t maintain blankets and have a very limited number of linens. Even renting a linen set will not guarantee your warmth at night, so we advise you to bring extra layers to stay warm at night. We’re not set up as a hotel and will not be providing many of the services you find at hotels.
2. Given the crowd, I assume people know what to expect. But we are at just under 3,000 meters or 9,500 feet in elevation. We can get quite a bit of snow in mid-September and temperatures can be quite cold. You should drink a lot of water. In a typical winter we will get 11.5 meters of snow. Most likely it will be beautiful and sunny, but be ready in case a storm comes in. We are in an El Nino cycle and are experiencing the wettest summer on record. Those patterns seems likely to extend into the fall and if temperatures drop, we could have quite a bit of snow.
3. This is a field station and housing will be rough and many housing spots will be lacking in amenities. Some of the cabins will be heated by wood stoves. You won’t be able to click a switch and have the cabin be warm. We have a nice community center where we will meet that will be comfortable. We’ll serve meals there. But in many instances, the cabins are just a place to sleep. At this point, we do not have any more available ‘Premium’ housing spots. We have anything below that level. The lower level you choose, the less comfort (heat and insulation) you will need to expect. There are no streetlights and it can be very dark at night. Bring a flash light. Most of the cabins will be served by outhouses that are not in, or attached to, the cabins.
4. There is wi-fi in most, though not all, cabins. Your cabins will not have phones and there will not be cell service.
5. We have a pretty small staff. Right now we have a lot of scientists finishing their field season. In about two weeks, the rush will drop off and we will be able to be more responsive.
6. There are always questions about costs and we know that the cost of food and housing varies widely around the world. For some people, this conference will be really expensive and for others, it will be absurdly cheap. For our cost of operation given local wages/costs, we run a pretty inexpensive operation. We appreciate everybody’s understanding. We will be offering three meals/housing for less than $100/person/night, which is very difficult to find in the area.
You can find a wide range of information about RMBL and what to expect at our website. Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly with questions. We are very excited to host the OBFS conference and pre-conference workshops and share our facilities!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.