Davis Senior High School
(Davis Unified Joint School District)
315 West 14th Street
Davis, CA 95616
Outdoor pedagogy and thoughts about host
Good learning involves thinking. Therefore, good teaching encourages, demands, motivates, and fosters good thinking.
I got excited about doing field biology and emboldened to do it with my students. I have always wanted to do field studies with my students but didn’t know how. The HOST program gave me ideas and time to work on materials that I can use. I feel rejuvenated and equipped to do field biology with my students.
HOST Training Site:
NRS’s Jepson Prairie Reserve (administered by UCD) in Solano County.
HOST Program Emphases:
Native vernal pool habitat and land management, including controlled burning and seasonal grazing.
HOST Teaching Materials:
• Jepson Prairie Preserve Research Project
• Field Notes Scavenger Hunt
“So I make it my goal to please Him. . .” (2 Cor. 5:9)
Selection of Awards:
• Fulbright Exchange Teacher to Finland
• Football & Basketball Coach
• Camping & Backpacking
• Spending time with wife Gina and four children: Daniel (11), Timothy (9), Michael (6), and Kristine (4).
Recommended Lesson Planning Websites: