Michael Collins

Cabrillo High School
(Lompoc Unified School District)
4350 Constellation Road
Lompoc, CA  93436

Outdoor pedagogy and thoughts about host

I began my career as a research biologist working on experimental pesticides.   Since then I have worked for the Fish  and Game Department’s Marine Resources Division and for the County of San Luis Obispo as a lettuce inspector. 

[HOST] is a dream program.  This was an amazing, wonderful, super experience.   The reserves are unbelievable!  The chance to learn field techniques with a reserve manager at such pristine places is amazing.  Giving students the opportunity to visit reserves with hands-on learning is so important in this world of habitat loss.  This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I am so thankful to be a part of this incredible adventure!


HOST Training Site:
NRS’s Coal Oil Point Reserve and Carpinteria Salt Marsh Reserve (both administered by UCSB) in Santa Barbara County.

HOST Program Emphases:
Dune vegetation, snowy plovers, marine invertebrates, and marsh habitats.

HOST Teaching Materials:
 Dune Plant Adaptations
 Hermit Crabs:  The Search For Housing
 Amphipod Ecology (beach fleas/sand fleas) 

Years Teaching: 2

Subjects Taught:
 Science 1 (Earth Science)
 Science 2 (Biology)

Favorite Saying:
Attitude is Everything!  In this life, 10% is what happens to you and the other 90% is how you react to what happens to you.

Selection of Awards:
 Advisor to the Cabrillo High School state of the art Aquarium
 Founder of Cabrillo High School’s At-Risk program

 Scuba Diving
 Breeding reptiles  
 Hanging out with family – wife Joanne and our three sons:   Sean (8), Joshua (6) and Tristan(2).