Sedgwick Reserve, UC Santa Barbara
Apply online at https://jobs.ucsb.edu
Under general supervision of the Reserve Director, coordinates on-site operations at Sedgwick Reserve, carries out routine maintenance and repair of facilities, utilities, vehicles and equipment, as lead. Assumes primary responsibility for resource management tasks at Sedgwick Reserve. Assumes primary responsibility for custodial tasks. Maintain, improve, and provide custodial care for the physical plant and supporting systems, vehicles, and grounds of the Sedgwick Reserve. Assists the Reserve Director as needed with other tasks including interacting with researchers, students and community members using the Reserve. In the absence of the Director, to assume responsibilities delegated by the Director. Supervise 1-3 seasonal, limited laborers. Oversee contracted maintenance services (tree crews, housekeepers, road grading contractors). Must be available outside of normal working hours.
- Several years of experience in the performance of semi-skilled maintenance/mechanical work. Good communication and problem solving skills
- A self-starter with good organization skills and willingness to work in a team as well as independently.
- Basic skills in equipment operation, maintenance and repair including a wide range of power and hand tools.
- Basic vehicle maintenance including trucks, ATCs, tractors and heavy equipment.
- Experience operating a tractor.
- Experience maintaining utilities including water and septic systems.
- Experience with basic building maintenance and repair.
- Fence construction and repair.
- Extensive vegetation clearing using both manual labor and power tools/mowers.
- Preparing grounds for fire safety inspections.
- Computer skills including email and word processing.
Position is located at Sedgwick Reserve in Santa Ynez, CA. May be needed for special events or to respond to emergencies outside of normal work hours. Must be able to hike distances over rough terrain and work in a dusty environment. Must be able to work in the heat as well as freezing weather conditions. May have to work on weekends, holidays. Required to be on call outside of normal business hours. Fingerprint background check required. Maintain a valid CA driver's license, a clean DMV record and enrollment in the DMV Employee Pull-Notice Program.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Open until filled.